Saturday, August 23, 2008 | , | 0 comments »

Dinner at Todd English’s OLiVES

Todd English’s OLiVES
1600 K St. NW
Washington, DC 20006
202.452.1866
http://www.toddenglish.com/

Stephanie and I had dinner at Todd English’s Olives a couple weeks ago for Restaurant Week. Overall, everything was decent.

Olives offers Mediterranean cuisine in an elegant and stylish dining room. Service during Restaurant Week is known to be spotty and poor, however the service we had that evening was terrific! I don’t remember his name, but he was attentive, informative, and very friendly.

Olives’ Restaurant Week menu was a bit on the skimpy side, and didn’t really have anything that peaked our interest, so Steph and I decided to order off the regular menu instead.

For starters we ordered the beef carpaccio, with Roquefort polenta, shaved parmesan, and balsamic cipollini onions; and the artichoke flatbread… however, our server accidentally gave us the fig and prosciutto flatbread instead, which was pretty good… it was served with sweet-sour fig jam, gorgonzola, prosciuto di parma, on a rosemary crust. I’ll just have to remember to order the artichoke flatbread (served with montrachet goat cheese and caramelized onions) next time I’m there. I absolutely loved the beef carpaccio. I’ll probably get that again during my next visit.

For our main course, Steph ordered the herb ricotta ravioli, with roasted tomato ragout and a pesto ricotta salata. I had the potato gnocchi, with sausage, dandelion greens, pecorino romano, and brown butter bread crumbs. Her ravioli was delicious, however, my gnocchi was very very salty. I was still guzzling down water when I got home because I was so thirsty.

We decided against ordering dessert since neither of us had any room. Despite receiving the wrong flatbread and the super salty gnocchi, Steph and I really liked Olives. I think it’s a place worth visiting again.

Side note: Todd English has a couple of TV shows… Cooking with Todd English and Food Trip with Todd English. Both are aired on public television.

0 comments